BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wordwise

Wordwise

By S.H. LOKE

ARE you a cut above others in mastering English? Try this test on words associated with cutting. Choose the right answer from the options given:

1. I ______ my hair every six weeks.

A chop B slice C carve D trim

2. We should avoid _______ trees in view of global warming.

A slicing B peeling C chopping D slitting

3. The design must be drawn on the wood before you ______ it.

A slice B carve C peel D grate

4. For my sandwiches, I ______ my cucumber thinly.

A carve B slice C slit D incise

5. You should ______ your beef before cooking it with spaghetti sauce.

A slit B incise C mince D peel

6. I usually ______ my cucumber and carrot to make my salad.

A carve B slit C incise D grate

7. You can _______the potatoes to cook them with chicken.

A julienne B slit C trim D cube

8. My uncle likes to _______ the Christmas turkey into slices.

A julienne B cube C carve D grate

9. It takes some time to ______ the carrot and cucumber for garnishing.

A julienne B slit C carve D incise

10. A television programme should be ______ if it is too violent.

A slit B axed C carved D incised

11. The chairs in the palace are ______ with the royal emblem.

A cubed B incised C slit D chopped

12. Why do people cry when they _______ onions?

A slit B carve C peel D incise

13. Joan’s dress does not fit her well because it is badly ______.

A cut B slit C minced D chopped

14. A mentally unsound man _______ a girl’s throat in a shop.

A grated B minced C peeled D slit

Answers:

1. D trim 2. C chopping 3. B carve 4. B slice 5. C mince 6. D grate 7. D cube 8. C carve 9. A julienne 10. B axed 11. B incised 12. C peel 13. A cut 14. D slit

0 comments: